For Immediate Release
In Recovery Mode, St. Croix Landmarks Society Releases Its December 2017 Calendar
(St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands – December 9, 2017) – As the Christmas season approaches, the St. Croix Landmarks Society, which operates the Estate Whim Museum, the Apothecary Hall Museum, a Research Library & Archives and other historic sites and programs in the US Virgin Islands, announced its December 2017 calendar.
“Like the rest of our Virgin Islands community, we at St. Croix Landmarks are in recovery mode. For us that means re-imagining our sites and services to ensure that we continue to provide quality programming that engages people of all ages,” said Executive Director Sonia Jacobs Dow. “Our office, Research Library and Estate Whim Museum sustained significant damage in the hurricanes and subsequent burglaries. To help return a sense of normalcy to St. Croix, the museum re-opened on November 11th when we hosted Community Recovery Day for residents and visiting first responders. Starving Artists Day, a yearly program which began after Hurricane Hugo to bring the community together and to help artists and shoppers find each other, marked its 23rd year on November 26th,” she said.
Dow thanked the community for its continued support. “We were pleased to have had over 40 artists and vendors on the Estate Whim Museum grounds for Starving Artists Day on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We thank the over 650 people who came to enjoy the music, food and fun provided by the event. We are especially happy to have hosted FEMA, SBA, EPA and CDC at Starving Artists Day so that people could register and gain invaluable recovery information.
“Our office and mini Museum Store are now located in Christiansted, at 20 Prince Street, at the corner of Hill and Prince Streets, and adjacent to St. Mary’s schoolyard,” she continued. We are open Tuesday to Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.” Basic Research Library & Archives services are also available at this location from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Wednesday to Friday until repairs are made to our Whim facility.”
Visit Our Museums:
Estate Whim Museum Estate Whim 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Weds. to Sat.
Apothecary Hall Museum Queen Cross St. 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Mon. to Sat.
On Wednesday, December 13th, we will launch a new initiative, Humanities Lab, a drop-in center for teens, from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 20 Prince Street, Christiansted. Youth will be able to access the internet for research, and receive assistance with writing projects, and college and financial aid applications. Field trips, discussions and workshops based on the interests and needs of participants will also be offered. There will also be special programming for military connected youth. We present this program in collaboration with the VI National Guard State Family Program.
In addition, Dow said that St. Croix Landmarks Society’s December programs include cultural and educational events. They are as follows:
- Friday and Saturday, December 15 and 16 – Old-Time Crucian Christmas
- Estate Whim Museum and grounds will be dressed for Christmas and open from 5:30 – 9:30 pm each night. These special evenings will feature beautiful light displays, a Crucian Inkberry Christmas tree, music of the season and holiday fun. We will present lantern and mask making workshops at local schools in preparation for Saturday night’s lantern and mask parade. Food and drinks will be on sale. Come mingle with old friends and new, see Estate Whim Museum by night and get your first taste of the season’s treats.
- Tuesday, December 19th – Happiness Hour for Humanities
- At our office at 20 Prince Street, Christiansted, (former convent adjacent to St. Mary’s School playground). We are inviting all humanities partners and other non-profits to come together to enjoy refreshments, relax and update us on your progress. Join us from 3:00 to 6:00 pm for an afternoon of festive camaraderie. RSVP to let us know how many will attend from your agency by calling 340-772-0598.
- CROIX LANDMARKS SOCIETY SEASONAL HOURS
- WE ARE OPEN DECEMBER 20 – 22 AND 27 – 29 AND JANUARY 3 – 5. Our Regular Hours resume on January 9, 2018.
For more information about St. Croix Landmarks Society, our museums, library and programs call 340-772-0598 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow us on Facebook @stcroixlandmarkssociety or on Twitter @STXLandmarks.