Gift Giving Ways to Support the St. Croix Landmarks Society before the End of the Year
Books on St. Croix History and Culture; Family History Kits Available
(St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands – December 18, 2017) – On the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, known to most as #GivingTuesday, the St. Croix Landmarks Society launched a fundraising effort to support sites and programs that were affected by September’s category five hurricanes.
“We are on our way in the disaster recovery process, as we have moved our office, secured the Estate Whim Museum with blue roofs, begun our financial applications and resumed our programming,” said Executive Director Sonia Jacobs Dow.
“Our office is now located in Christiansted, at No. 20 Prince Street, at the corner of Hill and Prince, adjacent to St. Mary’s schoolyard,” she said. We are open Tuesday to Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.”
“Since #GivingTuesday, we have been asking our friends and supporters to contribute gifts of $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, $250, $500, or $1000 to support our 2018 programs. Because of the damage to the great house, we will be unable to conduct two of our major fundraisers. The 2018 Candlelight Concert series is canceled due to the destruction to the great house and piano. House Tours are canceled because all of our scheduled hosts have sustained damage to their properties,” she said.
Dow said the humanities and cultural preservation organization is trying to raise $25,000 by December 31st. “St. Croix Landmarks Society is a 501 (c) (3). Your gifts and donations are tax deductible, and we urge you to give before the end of the year.” Donations can be made by visiting the Landmarks’ website: www.stcroixlandmarks.org and clicking on the Donate tab in the upper left-hand corner. It will take you to our Paypal account. You can also access the donate button on our Facebook page @StCroixLandmarksSociety. If you wish to send a contribution by mail, write a check to St. Croix Landmarks Society, 52 Estate Whim, Frederiksted, St. Croix 00840.
Another way to support the efforts of St. Croix Landmarks Society is to visit our mini Museum Store which is also located at No. 20 Prince Street, Christiansted. “We have unique gifts, family history kits and a wonderful selection of books.”
- Sukker Og Guld (Sugar and Gold) a beautiful compilation of profiles of Virgin Islands goldsmiths up to 1917, that includes familiar names such as Clendinen, Corneiro, Chabert, Thurland, Jacobs, Sobotker, Bornn and many others.
- Florence Lewison’s handy reference, Romantic History, is back in print!
- Cookbooks including: Krusan Nynyam, From My Mother’s Kitchen, Native Recipes, Virgin Islands Holiday Cooking and Le Awe Cook.
- The complete collection of Richard Schrader’s books, documenting the people of St. Croix is also available.
- Exclusive English translation of The Sugar King, tells the story of Jacob Lachmann, his influence on the sugar industry of Sweden, the Danish West Indies and Estate Bethlehem.
- For more information about St. Croix Landmarks Society, our museums, library and programs call 340-772-0598 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or follow us on Facebook @StCroixLandmarksSociety or on Twitter @STXLandmarks.